Kingdom Hearts earrings! Click to buy :)
Kingdom Hearts/Star Wars AU or crossover, though.
Think about it.
I’m confused. What is your problem with the concept?
I can only guess that you’re assuming that I want to slot characters from one universe directly into the roles of those in the other, which is untrue. I was talking more about a general adaptation.
Speaking from an AU sense, there is a certain level of similarity between the two fandoms/series. People who can use certain powers (Jedis, Keybearers) and are divided into certain groups (Darkness/dark side and light/light side) are called upon to maintain order in the universe.
There are schools in which young people can be trained, and the groups as a whole are decimated as the result of extremism and war between factions, resulting in a universe that is governed by different laws than previously and whose citizens know little of the special groups until one person who can use that power is again found (Sora, Luke). And, unknown to anyone, there is still a member of the dark side/darkness group (Vader and Palpatine/the Empire, Xehanort) waiting to confront them and who is directly responsible for certain issues in that universe.
More directly, the journeys of certain characters-i.e. Riku- could be maintained almost perfectly in an AU with certain adjustments. This is also true of Kairi with her Princess status, and Sora as the up-and-coming hero. Certain archetypes transfer quite well and could make for an interesting adaptation.
As far as crossover goes, Sora often goes to other worlds- this is just one that isn’t part of the Disney group. Perhaps traveling with Riku as they work to train Kairi, their interactions with any characters in the Star Wars universe (particularly post-movies) would be fun to write and experience. The rebuilding of the worlds and world order in both universes could be an interesting topic, as would the rebuilding of an extinct order of people who wield certain weapons to protect the universe. Seeing a well thought-out crossover would make my day.
So, truly, I don’t see the issue with this concept. It would have to be well-done and take into account the canons and information from each series, but it has the potential to be one of the more thoughtful and interesting crossovers or AUs that I’ve ever seen.
So please, tell me- what is your problem with this concept?
#i will never understand why he stuck his thumbs in riku’s mouth #i can’t watch it without thinking sora’s like #’YES THIS MAY BE RIKU BUT IS IT REALLY HIM LET’S USE THE DENTAL RECORD METHOD’ #or possibly #’YES RIKU’S HERE BUT IS HE OKAY DOES HE HAVE ALL HIS TEETH OKAY NONE ARE KNOCKED OUT HE’S FINE’
I’m thinking it’s for a variety of reasons, most of them very silly but which probably make sense to a 14-year-old.
For one thing, he’s stretching his mouth to look like Riku’s normal grin to make sure it’s right- and for another, if it were anyone else but Riku, they’d probably react a LOT differently. Riku still goes “wtf are you even doing Sora omg get your hands out of my mouth,” but it’s a totally Riku reaction. And for all we know, that’s something Sora did all the time anyway, because he’s a tiny dork and does silly things?
Also, it’s possible this has cultural connotations I don’t know about. I dunno, that’s what I always thought.
“I don’t think Kairi should’ve gotten a Keyblade. It was better with just Sora and Riku. She doesn’t deserve one.”
Kairi, like Riku, was granted the Keyblade- and UNLIKE Riku, she was given it by a Master. The only one who was never actually granted the Keyblade was SORA. The fact that she has gotten less screen time than either of the boys doesn’t make her a lesser character. When given the chance, she is just as active and determined as the boys.
Explain to me, without misogynistic bullshit, why Kairi shouldn’t be given the screentime to develop as a character and learn to fight. Explain to me why she “doesn’t deserve a Keyblade.”
I’ll be waiting.
ROXAS (KH2): You make a good other.
SORA (DREAM DROP DISTANCE): No. Roxas, you’re you. We’re not the same. I wanted to tell you that. That you deserve as much as I do to be your own person.
I wanted to draw KH girls kicking ass but I couldn’t figure out what Xion should wear so instead I spent way too long on a half-assed picture of her “siblings” trying to help her decide what to wear :I
Speedyfast BONUS because everyone seems to agree that Sora is the best part (which he is)
#sorry not sorry but Sora is kind of super fabulous in my world
This makes sense because Sora is the only one who constantly changes clothes in KH2 I’M SORRY BUT THIS IS ACTUALLY REALLY CUTE??? dakt I love how you draw these babes ahhhh
(Although I really do like the headcanon that Riku is the one that actually cares about his appearance, somewhat. Sora doesn’t care about clothing aside from what it can do for him power/magic-wise and when he takes them shopping he demands to know what earrings boost his magic and if the bracelets have any HP bonuses.)
okay no but can we appreciate just how similar and yet so different the boys’ rooms are? like you can draw dozens of headcanons by just looking at them.
- they all share similar layouts (bed by window, desk, even the beam overhead)
- sora has fucking harpoons in his room and suddenly throwing his keyblade at enemies with ease makes sense, huh?
- roxas has a FUCKING CHAIN CONNECTED TO ONE OF HIS DRAWERS DUDE HOW DO YOU NOT STEP ON THAT SHIT
- ven’s room is visibly the tiniest (it makes me think they just cleared a spare storage room in the castle or something. that or ven requested the tiny room near the attic, easier to stargaze from.)
- sora’s chair is wooden, roxas’ looks uncomfortable but fun to spin around in, and although ven’s looks like your standard cushioned stiff chair, the height actually looks like it’s more meant to be used with the telescope instead of the table
- SORA HAS A ROBOT HE’S BUILDING OUT OF BOXES
- roxas’ lamp looks like it was inspired from sora’s fish-mobile and ven’s magic lamp thingy (headcanon: namine was the one who made the room for roxas for the virtual twilight town, and she drew inspiration from ven and sora’s rooms)
- despite having so much junk, ven places them neatly and orderly. sora on the other hand………….
- those magazine/books in roxas’ room are almost the size of his pillow are those fucking manga books
- ven and sora both have boat toys hanging in their rooms
- however roxas has more star items in his room like sora does (i think)
- ven and roxas are okay with taking care of plants, apparently
- roxas is the only one with a clock (he has TWO?!) probably a necessity given Twilight Town is perpetually stuck at twilight
- i do not get ven and sora’s fascination with tiki masks but ok boys you’re still cute
- okay, people tend to interpret ven as v. dumb and childish but can we please take a look at his collection of books? he has a teacher for a father figure for god’s sake. more than half are probably astronomy books, but goddamn, man, i want those
- also an empty bird cage (i have a fic pending to be written regarding this)
- just augh look at all the details in their rooms i love details please let me see the rest of the casts rooms!!!
- i wanted to add xion’s but it’s just usual standard organization issued room so ):
Okay but for real, is it actually possible to be a Kingdom Hearts fan and not want to cry all the time?
I have this intense urge to write/draw a Kingdom Hearts fancomic detailing Kairi’s training, since odds are we’ll never see it in-game. I want it to be thoughtful and introspective and pretty and about Kairi as herself, and not how she’s defined by her relationships with Riku and Sora. Kairi being Kairi for the sake of being.
I really wanna do this. Or read this.
Why do I get the best ideas when I’m so busy though omg.
I have a theory for Kingdom Hearts, and while it will definitely turn out to be false, it was something I thought I’d mention? It’s roiling around in my brain, and I need some sort of outlet. It’s somewhat dumb, but whatever.
Spoilers for all the Kingdom Hearts games, especially Dream Drop Distance, under the cut. Lots of musings, with a blunt statement at the beginning because it’s TL;DR.
… I’m hoping for then next Kingdom Hearts game, they develop Riku and Kairi’s relationship a little more. I mean, they pretty much showed how much Sora and Kairi love each other, and Kingdom Hearts 2 and Dream Drop Distance showed how much Sora and Riku are gay for each other (No, like seriously.) I think they should just be a beautiful triangle together :D But we need more Riku/Kairi development for that to be complete! :D
Can I second this? Because I’d love to OT3 them but I just can’t find my groove with the Riku/Kairi part D:
There’s not all that much interaction with them, which bugs me. But from what we saw in KH1, Riku was pretty determined to save Kairi and get her heart back, to the point of doing anything. Like, those quiet moments he had with her in the first game, and the flash of his despair and sadness when he couldn’t help her in Neverland that’s shown to us in Re:Coded? Rikuuuu. He asks Sora to take care of her at the end of KH1, too.
And Kairi’s the one that helps Sora see Riku as RIKU again when they first meet up again in the World That Never Was, and she never gave up on him. She always seems to be able to see right through him. Kairi needs a lot more screentime in general, but what we have seen of her shows her loyalty to her friends, and her determination.
I just feel like they have this calming, steadying affect on each other. Sora is their energy and light, Riku is their maturity and snark and the one of them who can really see the darkness for what it is, and Kairi is there to rein them both back when they go too far in their own respective ways. She has her own attitude and snark to back it up, but so far we’ve pretty much seen her quiet strength the most. She refused to give up on either of them, even when she couldn’t remember them.
I dunno. I may be biased because I’ve read Beyond the Ocean Beach too much, but I OT3 them so much.